What is a Temporary Visitor Visa?

A Temporary Visitor Visa is a visa that allows a visitor to stay in Japan for the purpose of sightseeing, visiting relatives, business, etc., for a valid period of 90 days or less. As a general rule, it is not possible to work in Japan for remuneration with a Temporary Visitor's Visa. In addition, it is not possible to change from a temporary visitor visa directly to a work visa.

You may be thinking that since the word "business" is mentioned above, it is possible to work in Japan. However, "business" means that you are allowed to have business meetings, sign contracts, attend conferences, visit factories, etc., but you are not allowed to actually provide services or receive remuneration.

In principle, the sponsored company must bring in the applicant.

In general, when a foreigner receives a job offer from a company and wishes to work in Japan, the employer or person in charge of the applicant must apply for a "Certificate of Eligibility" at the Japanese Immigration Office in order to bring the applicant to Japan.
In order to file this application, an employment contract must be concluded between the Japanese company and the foreigner.

In principle, it is not possible to directly change a temporary visitor visa to a work visa, so the foreigner must return to his/her home country and then the employer applies to the Japanese immigration office for a "certificate of eligibility" in order to bring the foreigner to Japan.

Flow of inviting a foreigner (foreign nationals who plan to join) to Japan by sponsoring employer

First, we will explain the general flow of an employer who has made a job offer to bring a foreigner to Japan.

(1) The foreigner enters into an employment contract with a Japanese company ( offer of employment)

(2) The Japanese company requests Immigration attorney to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility.

(3) The Japanese Immigration attorney applies to the Immigration Bureau for a Certificate of Eligibility.

(4) The Immigration Bureau issues a Certificate of Eligibility.

(5) The company sends the "Certificate of Eligibility" to the foreigner outside Japan

(6) The foreigner submits the "Certificate of Eligibility" to the Japanese embassy or consulate general abroad in his/her home country and applies for VISA (Visa) issuance.

(7) The Japanese embassy or consulate general abroad issues the VISA.

(8) The foreigner lands in Japan with the passport with the VISA attached and undergoes the landing examination.

(9) When landing is approved, the foreigner will receive a "Resident Card" for staying in Japan (at large airports).

*The process is almost the same when using the electronic application system.

Normally, a foreigner who is staying in Japan on a temporary visitor visa must return to Japan once before the temporary visitor visa expires. Of course, it is also possible to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility while in Japan on a Temporary Visitor visa, then return to your home country and apply for a VISA at the Japanese embassy or consulate in your home country before coming to Japan.