Permanent Residence Visa

As a general rule, applicants are required to stay in Japan for 10 years or longer as a requirement for applying for PR visa, but the required period of stay may be shortened depending on each applicant's background.

For example, an applicant with the status of "permanent resident" is required to stay in Japan for at least 5 years with the same status of residence, a spouse with the status of "spouse of Japanese national, etc." is required to stay in Japan for at least 3 years in a marriage with substance and for at least 1 year in a continuous stay in Japan, and a biological child is required to stay in Japan for at least 1 year in a continuous stay in Japan. In the case of a biological child, the child must have resided in Japan for at least one year.

In the case of a biological child, the requirement is applicable if the child is married to a Japanese national or is the biological child of a Japanese national, even if the child has a different status of residence.

Those who can apply for a PR visa with the shortest period of stay among the special exceptions are those who have earned 80 points or more in the Highly Skilled Professional Points Calculation Chart, and may apply for a PR visa one year after their arrival in Japan and receive permission.

PR Visa applications using Highly Skilled Professional points

Applications using Highly Skilled Professional points are applicable to (1) those who have Highly Skilled Professional status and (2) those who have been granted permission under other statuses for a period of 3 years or longer.

Some people think that they cannot apply unless they have Highly Skilled Professional status, but it is possible to apply from this requirement even from other statuses of residence.

However, if you have been granted a one-year period of stay, Highly Skilled Professional(i) will be granted a uniform five-year period of stay if granted, so in order to meet the requirements for PR visa application, you should change your status to Highly Skilled Professional(i) and then consider applying for a permanent residence permit.

The PR visa application requires a letter of understanding to be submitted at the time of application. This is a document that you agree to promptly notify us if your situation changes from the time of application during the review period.

If you apply for PR visa with the requirements using the point calculation table and change jobs during the examination period, you are required to contact the Immigration Bureau as stated in the letter of understanding, but you are also required to meet the points at the time of application after changing jobs.

If you have 80 points at the time of application and less than 80 points after changing jobs, resulting in 70 points, and if your period of stay in the activity of employment is less than 3 years, your PR visa application will unfortunately be denied because you do not meet the requirements for a permanent residence permit application.

On the other hand, what happens if a birthday occurs during the examination period and the points drop?
However, since the Immigraton officer will examine the application based on the points at the time of application, there is a possibility that the examination will be continued and the application will be approved. Some of our clients have been approved.

Highly Skilled Professional(i) who changes jobs may apply for a change of status of residence in order to change the name of the company on the designation letter attached to his/her passport, and may start working after receiving permission.

Depending on the timing of the application for change of status and receipt of the results, the date of commencement of employment may be postponed, which may result in a period of non-subscription to social insurance.

If you have a status of residence other than Highly Skilled Professional(i), such as "Engineer/Humanities/International Services," you do not need to apply for permission to change your status of residence each time you change jobs, so it can be said that Highly Skilled Professional(i) is more likely to incur this risk.

In either case, it is not possible to make a blanket decision on whether or not the applicant is eligible for the change of status of residence. The examination will take into account a variety of circumstances, but we believe that the safest course of action is to change jobs after obtaining a permit.

We have received many requests from clients who apply for permanent residence permit using the points calculation table, and some of them have applied for and obtained PR visa within one year of their arrival in Japan. If you are considering applying for PR visa using Highly Skilled Professional points, please contact us.