If you are a permanent resident, you may be wondering whether or not your permanent resident status will be revoked in the event of divorce.
It is understandable to feel uneasy in the event of divorce, especially if you are on a permanent resident visa from a spouse visa status.

We are often asked whether or not the right of permanent residence will be revoked in the event of a divorce of a former permanent resident.

There is no revocation of permanent resident status due to divorce.

In conclusion, basically, the right of permanent residence is not revoked due to divorce.
Once you have obtained a permanent resident visa, you can continue to live in Japan as a permanent resident even after divorce or bereavement.

However, if the visa is not a permanent residence visa but a spouse visa, you must obtain a new visa or return to your home country before the expiration date of your visa.
Since divorce or bereavement is not something that can be known in advance, if you wish to continue living in Japan after marriage, you should try to obtain a permanent resident visa as sooner as Permanent Resident Visa.
In particular, it is more advantageous to apply for a spouse visa during the marriage, as the family income requirement is subject to review.

Cases of Revocation of Permanent Residence after Divorce

Although permanent residence is not revoked after divorce, there are of course cases in which it is.
In particular, if the status of residence of "spouse or child of Japanese national, etc.," which is always required when applying for permanent residence, is false, it will be revoked.

There may be various other cases.

If the Immigration Bureau finds that the contents of the application for pr visa are false.
If you left Japan without using the re-entry permit system
If you left Japan using the re-entry permit system and did not re-enter Japan by the expiration date.
When the applicant did not apply for a new place of residence within 90 days after leaving the reported place of residence.
When a false notification of residence is made.

In the above cases, your right of permanent residence may be revoked.

Cases in which the right of permanent residence may be revoked

What are the cases other than those mentioned above in which the right of permanent residence can be revoked?
The right of permanent residence is not revoked by divorce, but it can be revoked by other actions.

Cases in which permanent resident status has been revoked in the past include the following

When an alien left Japan under the Deemed Re-entry System but did not return after one year.
When it was discovered that the applicant had filed a false application or false documents when entering Japan in the past.
If you have been convicted of a crime such as narcotics, methamphetamine, or prostitution, and have been sentenced to a penalty.

If you are found to have committed an unethical act as described above, your right of permanent residence will be revoked.

In particular, in the case of deemed re-entry, permission can only be granted in Japan, so if you think you have forgotten the procedure and go to the Japanese embassy there, they basically will not be able to help you.
If you are leaving Japan with pr visa, it is recommended that you obtain a re-entry permit rather than a deemed re-entry permit before leaving Japan in case of unforeseen circumstances.

In addition, permanent residents are required to be of good conduct.
Therefore, if you are convicted of a crime such as drugs, methamphetamine, or prostitution and sentenced to a certain penalty, your permanent resident status may be revoked.
Drugs and methamphetamines are basically not allowed in Japan, so do not use them even if they are approved in your home country.
Do not apply for them at the time of entry into Japan, as you may be deported if your application is found to be false.