Those who have been granted a PR Visa have probably lived in Japan for many years and have gone through the process of renewing or changing their visa many times. There are cases where those who were careful when they had their visa expiration date may feel relieved after obtaining permanent resident status, and as time passes, they may be caught off guard and make a mistake.In the worst case, your permanent residence status may be revoked.

To prevent this from happening, please pay particular attention to the followings.

Procedures required even if you have a permanent resident visa

Re-entry Permit and Deemed Re-entry Permit

Even if you have obtained a PR Visa, you will need a re-entry permit or deemed re-entry permit to leave Japan. If you leave Japan without this, in the worst case, you may lose your "Permanent Resident" status.

Renewal of Residence Card

Once you obtain permanent resident status, you no longer need to renew your status of residence, but your residence card has an expiration date and must be renewed every seven years.

Change of Address Procedure

Like Japanese nationals, when you move, you are required to report your move-in and move-out at the municipal office.

Examples of cases where you may lose your permanent residence

If you leave Japan without a re-entry permit or deemed re-entry permit

Failure to re-enter the country by the re-entry deadline with a re-entry permit (valid for 5 years)

Failure to re-enter the country within one year with a deemed re-entry permit

If you commit a major criminal offense (life imprisonment or imprisonment exceeding one year or imprisonment without work)

According to the principle of law, if you do not return to Japan within the period of re-entry permission or deemed re-entry permission, you will lose your "PR Visa" status. This is the same for other visas.

Examples of cases in which you may not be able to re-enter Japan

Departing and returning to Japan after a criminal case of 1 year or more imprisonment

Once you obtain permanent residence, the permanent residence visa itself will not be revoked for minor criminal cases. However, Article 5 of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act states that "a person who has been sentenced to imprisonment or imprisonment without work for one year or more or a sentence equivalent thereto" is "not allowed to land. This one year of imprisonment or imprisonment includes both cases where the sentence has already been served and where the sentence has been suspended. The same applies even if the probationary period has ended without committing a new crime.