Hello, this is Takada from IMS Legal Professional Corporation. As the world continues to globalize, the number of foreign individuals dispatched to work in Japan by overseas companies is increasing. Consequently, we receive many inquiries from such individuals regarding permanent residency. In this post, I will explain the pension requirements among the various criteria that must be fulfilled to obtain permanent residency.

General Cases

In general, individuals holding work-related residency status or status-based residency are required to undergo a review of their participation records in Japan's pension system for the past two years.

For those enrolled in the Employees' Pension, pension contributions are typically deducted from their salary, minimizing concerns about non-payment or delays. However, extra caution is needed in the following cases:

  • If enrolled in the National Pension and making monthly payments.
  • In cases of changing jobs, transitioning to the National Pension, or neglecting to enroll in the National Pension during the period between jobs.

When individuals from countries with social security agreements with Japan work in Japan for a limited period (not exceeding five years), they can apply for permanent residency by submitting a copy of the "Certificate of Application." This document proves continued enrollment in the sending country's social security system, exempting them from lawful enrollment in Japan's social security system.

The countries that have social security agreements with Japan are as follows:

Germany, the United Kingdom, South Korea, the United States, Belgium, France, Canada, Australia, the Netherlands, the Czech Republic, Spain, Ireland, Brazil, Switzerland, Hungary, India, Luxembourg, the Philippines, Slovakia, China, Finland, Sweden.

Now, how is the "Certificate of Application" issued? The process is outlined below, excerpted from the Japan Pension Service website.

"When an employee is temporarily dispatched to Japan"

※Excerpt from the Pension Service website

If it is necessary to extend the period of exemption from joining the Japanese system, which is originally five years, when working in Japan for more than five years, an application can be made to the competent institution of the partner country by the employer in the partner country. In principle, the exemption period for Japan's social security system is five years, but there are cases where an extension of the exemption period is permitted.

Before applying for permanent residency, it is crucial to confirm whether you have been diligently contributing to the pension insurance premiums since the time you should have joined Japan's pension system. If you are not enrolled in Japan's pension system, make sure you have followed the necessary procedures for exemption from enrollment.

Regarding social insurance, specific advice cannot be provided by administrative scriveners due to legal regulations. For detailed information, please consult with a social insurance labor consultant.

For more information, please contact us below ↓

Read this post in Japanese | 日本語で読む