Hello, this is Ito from IMS Legal Professional Corporation. As we enter October, the temperature has become more pleasant. However, influenza is spreading, making it a season prone to infectious diseases, so caution is advised.

Recently, we received an inquiry from parents who want to bring their child, born to a Japanese parent and a foreign national with permanent residency, from overseas. There are 29 types of residency statuses, broadly divided into statuses based on activities and statuses based on identity and status. Residency statuses based on activities include "Professor" for those who receive compensation for research, education, and guidance at universities; "Research" for research activities at institutes; "Technical Intern Training" for work at companies; and "Study Abroad" for studying at educational institutions. Identity-based statuses include "Permanent Resident," "Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident," "Spouse or Child of Japanese National," and "Long-Term Resident."

Different Residency Statuses for Children

When bringing a child as a Japanese national or as a child of a permanent resident, the assumed residency statuses are "Spouse or Child of Japanese National" and "Long-Term Resident," respectively. Some may wonder why it's not "Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident" for the child of a permanent resident. This status applies when born in Japan. In the case of birth in Japan, there is no need for landing procedures, so instead of applying for a certificate of eligibility for residency status, an application for acquiring residency status is made when necessary. For a child of a permanent resident, it is possible to apply for the residency status of "Permanent Resident," but if the immigration authorities determine for some reason that the requirements are not met, residency may be granted under "Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident."

In the case of being born in Japan, going through compulsory education in elementary and junior high school, graduating from high school, and seeking employment, there is also the possibility of changing to the status of "Long-Term Resident." The Immigration Bureau's website mentions those who have the residency status of "Family Stay," but there is room for consideration regarding the change. However, if both parents are "Permanent Residents," some individuals may have already become "Permanent Residents" at the time of high school graduation.

Bringing Children from Overseas

In the case of the inquiry we received, to bring the child from overseas, either "Spouse or Child of Japanese National" or "Long-Term Resident" would be applied for. There is a significant difference in the same identity-based category. Since being the child of a Japanese national does not change, it is possible to apply at any age. On the other hand, "Long-Term Resident" requires being an underage biological child and receiving support. (By the way, for "Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident," if you continue to reside in Japan after birth, you can apply for a renewal of residency status without age restrictions.) Considering the above, applying for "Spouse or Child of Japanese National" is considered desirable.

The review of identity-based residency statuses may take some time. In cases where the school has been decided, there is sufficient academic or work history, and employment in Japan has been decided, it may be recommended to apply for residency statuses such as "Study Abroad" or "Work" to ensure the start of study or work. Even those who qualify for identity-based residency statuses may, at their own request, hold a residency status based on activities.

Useful Resources

For more information, please contact us below ↓

Read this post in Japanese | 日本語で読む