Hello, I'm Takeda of IMS Legal Professional Corporation. In this post, I'd like to share advice I provided when someone inquired about changing their residency status from Highly Skilled Professional (i) (Type 1) to Highly Skilled Professional (ii) (Type 2).

Firstly, the HSP (ii) residency status allows foreigners with highly specialized skills to engage in a wide range of activities.

Features of Highly Skilled Professional (ii) Residency Status

[Activities Allowed under HSP (ii)]

Activities that can be conducted under either "(i)" or "Research, Instruction, Education, Business Management in the fields of Natural Sciences or Humanities, or other activities that require knowledge or skills in these fields based on contracts with public and private organizations." Additionally, you can engage in activities permitted under other residency statuses such as "Professor," "Art," "Religion," "Journalism," "Legal/Accounting Services," "Medical Services," "Education," "Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services," "Nursing," "Entertainment," and "Skilled Labor."

In other words, obtaining this residency status allows you to be affiliated with multiple organizations without the need for additional work permits. Furthermore, unlike HSP (i), there's no specific designation, making it unnecessary to apply for a change in residency status even if you change jobs.

[Duration of Stay] Indefinite


  • Have accumulated 70 points as of the application acceptance date.
  • Have resided in Japan for over 3 years under the Highly Skilled Professional residency status and engaged in activities recognized by this status.
  • Have good conduct.
  • Be deemed to be in the interest of Japan.

A client who held the Highly Skilled Professional (i) qualification approached us, contemplating a career change. However, due to their over 3-year residency under the (i) status, there was a possibility of not meeting the 70-point requirement at their current prospective job. They sought advice on whether it was possible to change to HSP (ii).

In this case, since they did not meet the 70-point requirement at the time of the application, neither a change to HSP (i) nor HSP (ii) could be applied for. However, a change to "Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services" was feasible. We advised them to temporarily shift to this category and, once they achieved 70 points again—perhaps through increased income—apply for a change to HSP (ii).

In terms of Immigration Bureau procedures, even if the applicant doesn't meet the requirements for HSP (ii) and their application is not approved, if they meet the criteria for a change to HSP (i), Immigration would confirm the change with the applicant and grant them HSP (i).

Additionally, we explained the potential benefits and drawbacks of obtaining HSP (ii) compared to acquiring permanent residency, considering the client's anticipation of obtaining permanent residency. We encouraged them to weigh factors such as the need to summon both parents or hire domestic help.

Benefits of HSP (ii) Compared to Permanent Residency


  • Same preferential treatment as HSP (i).
  • Parental accompaniment.
  • Accompaniment of domestic help.


  • Change of employment is allowed, but being unemployed is not recognized.
  • Engaging in simple labor is not permitted.
  • There are restrictions on the spouse's employment activities.

In conclusion, if faced with the decision between obtaining Highly Skilled Professional (ii) or permanent residency, considering factors like the need to summon parents or employ domestic help will guide your decision.

For more information, please contact us below ↓

Read this post in Japanese | 日本語で読む