Japanese nationals do not need a visa for short-term travel to the U.S.; they only need to apply for an ESTA. However, did you know that Chinese nationals need a visa for tourist travel?

Here, we will introduce the visa application procedures for Chinese nationals, especially Chinese residents in Japan, to travel to the U.S. from Japan for sightseeing. If you are having trouble with your visa application, please contact IMS.

Our Chinese staff will assist you in Chinese language.

Chinese Citizens in Japan Applying for a U.S. Visa

If you are a Chinese national living in Japan, you may have applied for a visa when you came to Japan, but you will need to apply for a U.S. visa when you go to the U.S. for sightseeing.

If the duration of your stay is 3 months or less, it falls under the category of short term. If you intend to visit the U.S. for sightseeing, such as a trip to the U.S. or a homestay, you should apply for a tourist visa.

Where to send visa application documents and detailed instructions will vary depending on the country and nationality you are visiting. Let's take a closer look at how to apply for a U.S. visa for Chinese nationals.

Applying for a U.S. and tourist visa for Chinese nationals (Chinese nationals residing in Japan) Fees and Required Documents

Chinese nationals cannot apply for ESTA, so they must apply for a visa. Among the visas, a B-2 visa is required for tourist purposes.

Steps to apply for a visa to the U.S.

Complete the DS-160 online application form.

Prepare visa application documents, and translate Chinese documents into English.

Visit the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for an interview.

Prepare DS160

The DS-160 online application form can be completed from Japan by accessing the U.S. Department of State website from the U.S. Embassy website. The first visa you should obtain is a B-2 nonimmigrant visa for tourism.

The online visa application form has quite a few fields to fill out. Fill in the various required fields properly and calmly. It is recommended that you save the information frequently, as it should not disappear in the middle of the form.

Visa Application Fees

In the U.S. visa application, you enter all the information and pay the application fee online. The fee for the application is $160 for most nonimmigrant visas. After payment is made, schedule an interview.

Required Documents for Visa Application

The following documents are required for the interview date to apply for a U.S. visa.

1. Confirmation page of the DS-160 online application form

2. Current valid passport (with at least 6 months remaining validity at the time of departure from the U.S., old passports issued within the last 10 years are also required)

3. One photo (5cmx5cm, white background color photo taken within the last 6 months)

4. Confirmation of interview appointment

5. Photocopies of both sides of your residence card 在留カード(Zairyu card)

6. If employed (company employee), a letter of employment conditions (in English)

7. Certificate of employment (if employed by a company)

8. Certificate of tax payment (with English translation) if employed (for company employees)

9. Proof of finances in English (pay slips for the last 3 months, bank statements, and other proof of assets, real estate, investment securities, etc.)

10. Itinerary of stay in Japan (in English)

11.Certificate of family relationship if you have other family members in Japan.

It is important to use a checklist to ensure that you do not forget any necessary documents on the day of application.

If you are a Chinese national residing in Japan and applying for a U.S. visa in a third country, it is important to prepare sufficient documents for the interview.

If you need help applying for a visa to the U.S., please contact IMS. We can assist you with your application.